Wednesday 28 November 2012

Makeup Tutorial: Sprite



One of the aspects of makeup I've always loved is being able to transform your face into just about anything you want to be. So far on this blog, I've mainly stuck to safe tutorials that you can wear out, so I decided to go back to what I enjoy doing and do a full face tutorial. 

This look can still be wearable (maybe lose the green eyebrows, green contouring and bucket-loads of highlighter) but I've taken it a bit further here just for fun. I wasn't sure what to call it, but it's essentially a green cut crease with red lips and a bit of contouring, which reminded me of a wood-nymph/pixie/elf-like creature. Enjoy.

First things first, I applied my foundation (Rimmel's Match Perfection), Revlon's cream blush in Pinched, and the highlighter from 17's Glow shimmer brick to my cheek bones. I added a lot of highlighter, which I kept going back and adding to throughout the tutorial, because I wanted the feel of very prominent, high cheekbones. I didn't want my face to look strictly "human" so the more light I could draw to areas of my face to make the shape appear different, the better.
As usual, I then primed my eyes using Urban Decay's Primer Potion and used the lightest, white-looking colour from Rimmel's Glam Eyes Trio Eyeshadow in 750 Tempting and packed it on to my lid quite thickly. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it isn't actually that white, it's more of a very light, lime green and worked amazingly with this look.
I then added my usual Zephyr to my brow bone and inner corner of my eyes, except for this tutorial, I didn't stop there, I carried it right down underneath my eyes, using the shimmery eyeshadow almost as a concealer.
Next is how I do my sharp, cut crease. Others may do it differently but this is just the easiest way for me. I take an eyeliner pencil (Rimmel's Soft Kohl in 031 Jungle Green, in this case) and draw along my eye socket, I do this simply by placing the pencil on the outer corner of my eye crease and applying pressure as I follow the hollow of my eye around in a semi-circle.

I then used a soft pencil brush to add a similar green onto the line and above it (apologies for the blurry image here). I used the W7 Paintbox Palette.
I then applied a slightly lighter shade of green above the crease and blended it downwards into the darker green, careful not to go over the original line and keep the 'cut' there. I then used an even lighter green to go above this and blend into the highlighter. Do this underneath the eye as well, but mirrored, so you add the darkest green next to the lash line, then a lighter green underneath that and the even lighter green underneath that.
This is probably around where the look starts to verge on the 'unwearable'. I used my pencil brush and darkest green I'd used on my eyes to contour the sides of my nose, up to the inner corner of my eyebrows. I used it to contour under my cheekbones. In the picture above, I'm just showing where to draw the contouring lines on the cheeks, I am yet to blend the green into my cheek. I then added highlighter down the middle of my nose.
Tie the eye makeup together with some black eye pencil on the waterline (Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Zero) and liquid/gel/pen eyeliner in black (Colorsport 24 Hour Eyeliner) on the top lash line, winging it out slightly. I also went and drew around the inner corner, bringing it to a point to make it look almost 'pixie'-like.
I then added black mascara (Makeover Essentials 24/7 Makeup Portfolio) to my lashes and used the darkest green in the trio (Rimmel) to fill in my eyebrows.
I also stuck on some winged out false eyelashes. As usual, I used Eylure's Naturalites Evening Wear Ultra Glam.
To contrast the green, I decided to go with a bright red lip. I used Barry M Kohl Pencil in 25 to line and fill in my lips, with a bright red gloss from Makeover Essentials over the top to add the shine.



No comments:

Post a Comment