Thursday 20 December 2012

Rimmel London: Stay Matte Pressed Powder: 003 Peach Glow (£3.99/14g)

This might surprise you, but I don't actually tend to wear makeup very often. The majority of my time is spent in front of my laptop indoors, so I don't feel any real need to wear it. If I do a tutorial, I take it off straight afterwards. When I do go out, depending on where I'm going, I'll only use liquid foundation on my skin, and a bit of blush (I only tend to wear bronzer and highlighter when I go out to dinner or clubbing). I only wear this because I don't need my makeup to last all day; when I wear primer on my eyes, it's more to get the most out the pigment than to make it last all day/night. I do find, however, that my liquid foundation does wear off by the time I get home. I know the solution to this is either to apply face primer, makeup setting spray or powder on top of my regular foundation. I decided to try the latter and went with Rimmel's Stay Matte Press Powder in Peach Glow.

 
The range was reasonably good, with 6 tones I could see, from beige undertones, to pink undertones. I chose peach, as my skin has a tendency to go pink all by itself at the drop of the hat and it doesn't need any extra encouragement, and I didn't want to go for anything too dark for my skin tone, such as Silky Beige. There was a 'transparent' powder for those with dark skin, although I believe there should be more options for those with black and olive skin tones. However, this is a broad problem with foundations in general and an issue for another post (although if this is a problem you face, check out Illamasqua's range; it's not perfect yet but it's better). I didn't chose 'transparent' as I wanted the powder to add a bit of natural colour to my skin, since foundation tends to make it all one tone and you don't want to look like a mannequin (or maybe you do... each to their own).

 
Now for what you (probably) came here for: the review. The packaging isn't the best as the lid is a little lose but I'm willing to let that go, considering it was only £3.99 and I'd rather the expense was spared on the packaging than the product. 
It has a light, pleasant, floral scent, which disappears within seconds.
The powder itself is incredibly light, whilst producing decent coverage over the top of my regular foundation; I didn't try it on its own as this isn't how I'll be wearing it in everyday life. It takes away any shine your face might have and really evens out your skin tone, while adding a natural glow.


Above, I've taken pictures of before I apply any foundation (left), after I'd applied liquid foundation (Rimmel's Match Perfection Foundation)(middle), and after I'd applied the Stay Matte Powder over the top of the liquid foundation (right). There is real difference in evening out the skin tone and also, far less shine than not only in the first picture, but also the second.

This powder is great. It's an absolute steal at £3.99 and it far exceeded my expectations. I highly recommend wearing it over the top of your regular foundation to increase longevity, as well as making the general appearance of your skin even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment