Wednesday 12 December 2012

Urban Decay: The Vice Palette (£35 - £45)

As much as I love Urban Decay, and makeup in general, it's rare that I get so excited about a product that I audibly squeal when I open it. The Vice Palette excited me more than I've been by a product in a long time and I can't wait to share with you its range of unique colours.

The packing is simple and classy; purple with a raised diamante Urban Decay logo on top. I really admire how Urban Decay use a different style and theme for every one of their palettes; it makes me feel as if a lot of consideration has gone into them and that they haven't just knocked it together for the sake of churning out a new product. The palette itself opens via a release button at the front, already an improvement on most palettes which you have to prize open with your finger nails. 
Inside, it has a large mirror and a quality double-ended eyeshadow and blending brush (not like those strange, cottonbud-like things you get in most palettes).
Before I go through the individual colours, I'll mention that there are 20 eyeshadows, some shimmery, some matte and some glittery. The powder is soft, incredibly pigmented and a dream to blend. A few of the colours look quite different in the pan to on the skin, which is why I've included swatches.


Desperation



A matte brown, which looks slightly grey in the pan; this eyeshadow would be great as part of a neutral/natural look.

Muse


A toasted brown with gold glitter; warm and pretty. 

Jagged


Probably my least favourite, a brown with gold and black glitter. It looks a little odd but I'm keen to try it with a makeup look to give it a fair assessment.

Blitz


Predictably, my favourite: an intense, shimmy gold. Imagine Half Baked but far more yellow.

Penny Lane


A gorgeous, shimmery orange. I was surprised with how much I liked this, as I would have never gone for it on its own. This colour would look amazing on blue eyes.

Junkie


Another colour I wouldn't pick on its own but loved; a glittery, shimmer green which comes out ever so slightly blue on the skin.

Chaos


One of the two most eye-catching shadows in the palette. A matte blue with slightlest hint of glitter; would be very interesting on brown eyes.

Occupy


A shimmery, glittery grey which looks slightly greener in the pan than on the skin. Similar to S & M but darker.

Unhinged


I love this shimmery turquoise; once again, would look great on brown eyes.

Black Market


Looks like a matte black in the pan but is actually closer to matte, dark brown; incredibly similar to Desperation despite being very different in the pan. If I wanted to use black, I'd probably stick to Blackout.

Provocateur


I can imagine this being a favourite with many, as it's simply beautiful. An incredibly glitter, shimmery, baby pink. It's gorgeous but, because of the amount of glitter, very crumbly; I'm really keen to try this one out properly to see how it holds up.

Rapture


A shimmery purple with a hint of glitter. Pretty and similar to Rockstar but lighter and more purple.

Vice


An intense, shimmery purple.

Noise


The second of the two loudest colours in the palette, aptly named Noise. I don't own any bright pinks, nor would I consider buying one, however it's not quite as hot on the skin and I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Armour


This actually looks a lot golder in real life than in the pan or the swatch and it incredibly gorgeous. It's like a cross between Cobra and S&M; a glittery, shimmery, golden gun metal. Very interesting!

Nevermind



It didn't catch my eye in the pan, but when I swatched it, it became one of my favourites; a lovely, shimmery bronze. It would look amazing on green or blue eyes.

Echo Beach


Another colour which didn't impress me in the pan but dazzled on the skin; another one of my favourites (beginning to see a theme yet?) this colour is a beautiful, shimmery champagne.

Anonymous


A matte cream, ideal for a highlighter.

Freebird


Underwhelming in the pan but it actually turned out to be a lovely, shimmery, peach; subtle and very pretty.

Laced


A matte, pale peach.

I adore all the colours in this palette and can't wait to get started using them for makeup looks, especially the colours I wouldn't normally pick up. If you're going to go for an eyeshadow palette, I couldn't recommend the Vice Palette enough; the range of colours is great and should encourage you to try out looks you wouldn't usually try. The quality of Urban Decay eyeshadows, in my opinion, is second to none and if you're going to decide to spend that bit more on a product, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this one. This is probably my favourite palette and I haven't even got started yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment