Friday 17 May 2013

STATEMENT NECKLACE: SPIKES

As a huge fan of statement jewellery, I've previously written blogs on my some of my statement rings and bracelets. When starting my third and final installment on Necklaces, I realised I have so many interesting pieces that I'd like to share them with you separately so that I don't bore you with one long necklace essay.


I bought this necklace around six months ago from New Look in the sales. It was a bit of a gamble, since it's freakin' massive and I couldn't think of a single thing in my wardrobe that it would go with, but it was too eye-catching to walk away from.

I have a love-hate relationship with this piece and spiky necklaces in general. I used to have a spiked dog collar when I was a teenager and - no exaggeration - the spikes must've been at least 3 inches long. Some days I loved it and would wear it out, some days I hated it and would throw it back in my jewellery box(/bag, at the time).

This piece is no different. Some days I'll put on an outfit and it'll ache for a statement necklace like this; something plain and simple that needs jazzing up. Then, some days, I'll go to put this on and hate it, think it hangs down too low on my chest and believe it looks ridiculous.

With statement jewellery, sometimes this is a good thing. If an item of jewellery goes with everything and blends into the background, what sort of statement is it making?

No comments:

Post a Comment