Monday 7 January 2013

Urban Decay: Naked Nails Nail Polish Set (£21)

I stumbled across this little gem completely by mistake while checking for makeup in the sale and, since Urban Decay could breathe in a bottle and I'd probably buy it, I had to have it.


The packaging is simple and stylish, albeit a little chunky for my taste. I do like the size and shape of holes which hold each nail varnish however, as there's a little gap at the top big enough to fit your finger and therefore pry out the bottle without any fuss.

There are 6 bottles, working out as £3.50 each. Each bottle contains just 5ml of varnish, so if you were to buy a regular-sized, 15ml bottle (in theory, as this is the first I've seen of any type of nail varnish from Urban Decay) it'd cost roughly the same as most bottles of high end nail varnish. I prefer having the smaller bottles because I never, ever finish a whole bottle of regular-sized polish, so these are far more economical for me.

The colours are all modeled on colours from the Naked (eyeshadow) Palette and range from nudes, to shimmery metallics. I've used a nail wheel to show what they look like after applying one coat (top right images) and then two coats (bottom right images).

Naked



A cream, pigmented nude. It dries opaque, almost matte. You can get away with applying just one coat, as two doesn't really make any difference.

Sidecar


A translucent pink-nude with undertones of mushroom; lots of grey glitter. This would make a great top coat, perhaps over the top of Naked; very pretty and feminine. I'd recommend two coats, as it brings out the pink in the polish.

Toasted


Iridescent, pearly pink; absolutely stunning and probably my second favourite of the whole lot. Two coats makes the colour stronger but isn't necessary.

Smog


My favourite. A purpley-bronze with gold shimmer running through it making it look two-tone. The gold pigment gets stronger the more coats you apply.

Hustle


A dark, shimmery, metallic purple. Really pretty. If I could have a third favourite, this would be it. No need for a second coat either, very pigmented.

Creep


A sheer, very dark grey with silver glitter; really great if a pigmented black is too much for you. The sparkle adds a softer touch as well. This polish really benefits from a second coat; it almost looks like a different product.

My favourites are Toasted, Smog and Hustle but I can definitely seeing myself wearing the others; Naked and Sidecar are perfect for spring/summer and Creep is a great alternative to pure black.
The formula itself took a little while to dry but once it did, it dried evenly and smooth, something that I find rare with pigmented nail polishes.

What can I say? Urban Decay have done it again. This set is a must have and fantastic value for money. As they say themselves: "neutral is anything but boring."

No comments:

Post a Comment